This message from The Yuma Dentist is about the importance of protecting the enamel of your teeth.
Our teeth work hard and are constantly under attack. It’s no wonder that nature encases them with an armor of enamel—the hardest substance in the body. Tragically, enamel erosion is extremely widespread, though largely preventable. Enamel’s chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages. Other factors that can weaken enamel or wear it away are some medications, tooth grinding, acid reflux, gastrointestinal ailments, chewing ice or other hard substances, and eating disorders.
At The Yuma Dentist, we educate our patients about how to keep their enamel strong and prevent further erosion if some has already taken place.
Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion:
- Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body; once it has been eroded, it can’t be regenerated.
- According to the NIH, 41% of adolescents already have enamel erosion.
- Vigorous brushing can impair enamel.
- Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as harmful as sugared sodas.
- Dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
If you have already experienced enamel erosion, it’s vital to treat it right away. There are several dental procedures that can protect the teeth that have been compromised.
Call The Yuma Dentist to schedule an appointment today. Our services include general and cosmetic dentistry.
Contact The Yuma Dentist:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
1630 S Pacific Ave Ste 104